As nations across Latin America have become wealthier and more stable in recent years, they are seeking to engage with the world, including the United States, on a more level playing field. In this podcast, Harold Trinkunas, senior fellow and director of the Latin America Initiative at Brookings, describes Latin America’s economic, social, and political challenges and opportunities, with particular attention given to Brazil’s rise as a potential major power.
See also new materials on the Seventh Summit of the Americas, April 10-11, 2015.
• Brazil’s Rise: Seeking Influence on Global Governance
• Four Steps Brazil Can Take to Influence Global Governance More Effectively
• Changing Energy Dynamics in the Western Hemisphere: Impacts on Central America and the Caribbean
• Global Trade Negotiations at a Crossroads: How Does Latin America Fit In?
• Venezuela Breaks Down in Violence
Brazil has the 7th largest economy in the world in terms of GDP
(N.b., The data in column one of this chart has been updated since this podcast was published.)
Brazil is 11th in the world in total dollars spent on defense