In this episode of “Reimagine Rural,” Tony Pipa visits Drew and Moorhead, two towns in Sunflower County, Mississippi, once home to cotton plantations, where the country’s history of slavery and the civil rights movement set the context for these rural towns and their path to renewal today. Local leaders and homecomers describe their efforts to build communities where people want to live—and the role of beauty and leisure in achieving their visions.
Have a story about your town that you’d like to share with Tony? Send feedback to GlobalMedia@brookings.edu.
Participants in this episode:
- Gloria Dickerson, Founder and CEO, We2gether Creating Change
- George Holland, Mayor, Moorhead Mississippi
- Dee Jones, Vice President, Community & Economic Development, Hope Enterprise Corporation
- Ed Sivak, Executive Vice President, Policy and Communications, Hope Credit Union
- Melanie Townsend-Blackmon, Mayor, Drew, Mississippi