In this episode of Intersections, Haroon Bhorat, nonresident senior fellow with the Africa Growth Initiative, and Homi Kharas, interim vice president and director of the Global Economy and Development Program, discuss how the global trend of a rising middle class has played out in sub-Saharan Africa, whether a strong manufacturing sector is required for middle-class expansion, and the difference between reducing poverty and building economic security.
- Africa’s Lions: Growth Traps and Opportunities for Six African Economies
- The unprecedented expansion of the global middle class
- Is a growing middle class good for the poor?
- African lions: Demographic, employment, and wage trends in South Africa
- Small middle-income countries in Africa need to rethink their growth strategy
- Middle class prosperity can save the planet
- Podcast: The global middle class
With thanks to audio producer Gaston Reboredo, Fred Dews, and Chris McKenna for additional support.
Intersections is part of the Brookings Podcast Network.