On March 26, the 21st Century Defense Initiative at Brookings hosted its first annual Military and Federal Fellow Research Symposium, featuring the independent and cutting-edge research produced by members of each military service and select federal agencies during their time in think tanks and academia. Organized by the fellows themselves, the symposium provided a greater awareness of the valuable policy work our defense leaders are producing at think tanks and research institutions across the nation.
The theme of this first symposium was “Defense Challenges and Future Opportunities.” Following a keynote address by Lieutenant General John M. Paxton Jr., director of strategic plans and policy for the Joint Staff and a former federal executive fellow at Brookings, panel discussions focused on the fellows’ independent research findings in the areas of irregular warfare, acquisition and logistics, alliance warfare, and manpower and infrastructure challenges.
After each panel, participants took audience questions.
Panel I: Irregular Threats
Panel II: Acquisition and Logistics
- “A National Level Vision Needed for the Defense Sustainment Industrial Base” — Colonel Tom Miller, United States Air Force, Brookings
Panel III: Alliance Warfare
- “Seabasing and 21st Century Alliances” — Commander Gregory Parker, United States Navy, Brookings
- “NATO’s Survival: Decisions for the Alliance” — Colonel Patrick Warren, United States Army, Brookings
- “U.S.-Japan Interoperability” — Colonel Hiroaki Uchikura, Japan Air Self-Defense Force, Brookings
Panel IV: Manpower and Readiness
- “The Repeal of ‘Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell’ Implementation Considerations for Quartering the Force” — Lieutenant Colonel Charles McLean, United States Marine Corps, Brookings
Author, The Accidental Guerilla (Oxford University Press, 2009)
Captain, U.S. Navy
Federal Executive Fellow, The Brookings Institution
Federal Executive Fellow
Editor - Defense News
University of Texas
Lieutenant Colonel, U.S. Air Force
National Defense Fellow, Washington Institute for Near East Policy
Colonel, Japan Air Self-Defense Force
Colonel Gregory Dewitt, “Strategic Black Officer Capital Investment: Increasing Competiveness for General Officer”
The Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies
To subscribe or manage your subscriptions to our top event topic lists, please visit our event topics page.