Stuck in the Middle examines both economic and social public policy initiatives in its assertion that enhancing the welfare of people in developed and developing nations requires an explicit focus on the middle class.
1. Overview: Fiscal Policy, Distribution, and the Middle Class
2. Stylized Facts on the Middle Class and the Development Process
3. The Future of Global Income Inequality
4. The Scope and Limits of Subsidies
5. Policies for Lower Global Wealth Inequality
6. Can Happiness Research Help Fiscal Policy?
7. The Politics of Effective and Sustainable Redistribution
Catherine Hill, John L. Palmer, Teresa Ghilarducci, Van Doorn Ooms
January 1, 2005
Antonio Estache hold the Bernard Van Ommeslaghe chair at the Université Libre de Bruxelles. He previously worked for twenty-five years at the World Bank.
Danny Leipziger is a vice president at the World Bank and a prolific author and frequent commentator on development issues.