The Fall 2013 conference of the Brookings Papers on Economic Activity took place at Brookings September 19-20. New research findings by leading academic and government economists include:
• the current lull in U.S. health care spending;
• offshoring and the declining U.S. labor share;
• “jobless recoveries” and the persistence of unemployment;
• the effects of expanding preschool enrollment;
• improvements in economic forecasting; and
• Latvia’s economic response to the global financial crisis.
While the conference occurs under the Chatham House Rule, participants were able to share their thoughts and links to key papers and videos via Twitter.
Every article in the Brookings Papers, published continually since 1970, is available for free on brookings.edu.