Patrick Fine is an international development professional with deep experience in global health, education, humanitarian response, and building resilient communities. He has served in senior positions in both the public and nonprofit sectors, including as the CEO of FHI 360, one of the United States’ preeminent diversified global development nonprofits, and as the vice president for compact operations at the Millennium Development Corporation. A retired member of the career foreign service, Fine served as the senior deputy assistant administrator in the Africa Bureau and mission director in Afghanistan at the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID). He is a frequent speaker and writer on international and human development.
Fine is a hands-on development practitioner who believes the closer one is to the issues and people, the better one can understand the context and nature of the challenges to be addressed. Fine lived and worked overseas, primarily in Africa, for over 20 years. He has experience designing, negotiating, and managing development programs in Africa, the Middle East, Central and Southeast Asia, Eastern Europe, and Latin America.
Fine created and hosted the popular development podcast A Deeper Look, where he spoke with journalists, government officials, business leaders, policymakers, development practitioners, and courageous citizens around the world. Fine serves on several nonprofit boards and has received numerous awards, including Commander, Order of Benin, USAID’s Distinguished Career Award, and the Merite D’Honour for contributions to education from the government of Senegal.
Fine began his career in international development as a Peace Corps volunteer in Swaziland, where he gained a firsthand appreciation for the importance of integrating education, health, economic development, and governance into holistic, people-centered programs. His experience living and working in a rural African community continues to inform and inspire him today.
- Chief Executive Officer, FHI 360 (2014-2021)
- Chief Operating Officer, FHI 360 (2013-2014)
- Vice President, Compact Operations, Millennium Challenge Corporation (2010-2013)
- Senior Vice President, Global Learning Group, Academy for Educational Development (2006-2010)
- Senior Deputy Assistant Administrator, Africa Bureau, United States Agency for International Development (2005-2006)
- Director, Afghanistan, United States Agency for International Development (2004-2005)
- M.Ed., Center for International Education, University of Massachusetts (1985)
- B.S. in Social Studies, Missouri State University (1979)