I will focus my comments specifically on the role of World Bank lending in middle income developing countries (MICs). I will make six interrelated points:
- There has been a substantial decline in World Bank lending to MICs.
- MICs still face a significant development challenge.
- The declining role of the Bank lending is a problem for the MICs and the Bank.
- There are many reasons for the decline in Bank lending to MICs.
- There is good news as some progress has been made to facilitate lending to MICs.
- There is still much that can and needs to be done.
Homi Kharas delivered the keynote address at IFPRI’s annual staff retreat on September 12, 2018. He explored the evolving development agenda and its implications for policy research.