I will focus my comments specifically on the role of World Bank lending in middle income developing countries (MICs). I will make six interrelated points:
- There has been a substantial decline in World Bank lending to MICs.
- MICs still face a significant development challenge.
- The declining role of the Bank lending is a problem for the MICs and the Bank.
- There are many reasons for the decline in Bank lending to MICs.
- There is good news as some progress has been made to facilitate lending to MICs.
- There is still much that can and needs to be done.
Global development disrupted: A field in transition
Impact investing: Achieving financial returns while doing good