Washington, D.C. – Recognizing the urgent need for coordinated actions to stop the spread of COVID-19, the Brookings Institution in Washington and Tsinghua University in Beijing convened a high-level roundtable including top minds from the United States and China on February 4, 2021.
The roundtable addressed three primary topics: 1) medical and research cooperation; 2) vaccine development and distribution; and 3) cross-border travel and global collaboration for public health progress. Through a two-and-a-half-hour-long exchange of ideas and perspectives, participants explored ways to collaborate to combat the virus with concrete policy recommendations.
Participants included medical experts, public health scholars, executives from the pharmaceutical and travel industries, policymakers and advisors to the public health apparatus in both governments, former heads of the United States United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and Food and Drug Administration (FDA), and former senior Chinese government officials.
- John R. Allen, President, Brookings Institution
- Thomas Christensen, Professor and Director of the China and the World Program, Columbia University; Nonresident Senior Fellow, John L. Thornton China Center, Brookings Institution
- Ezekiel J. Emanuel, Vice Provost for Global Initiatives; Co-Director, Healthcare Transformation Institute, University of Pennsylvania
- Paul Farmer, Professor and Chair, Department of Global Health and Social Medicine, Harvard Medical School; Chief of the Division of Global Health Equity, Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston; Co-founder, Partners in Health
- Anthony Fauci, Chief Medical Adviser on COVID-19 to the President
- Tom Frieden, CEO, Resolve to Save Lives; Former CDC Director, 2009-2017
- Laurie Garrett, Founder, Anthropos Initiative; Foreign Policy columnist
- Margaret “Peggy” Hamburg, Immediate Past Chair/President, American Association for the Advancement of Science; Former FDA commissioner, 2009-2015
- Ryan Hass, Michael Armacost Chair and Senior Fellow, John L. Thornton China Center, Brookings Institution
- Christopher Hickey, China Lead, Policy & Public Affairs, Pfizer
- David Ho, Founding Scientific Director, Aaron Diamond AIDS Research Center; Professor of Medicine, Columbia University
- John Lepore, Senior Vice President, Government Engagement, Moderna
- Cheng Li, Director and Senior Fellow, John L. Thornton China Center, Brookings Institution
- Mark McClellan, Director and Professor, Robert J. Margolis Center for Health Policy, Duke University; Former FDA commissioner, 2002-2004
- Leana Wen, Nonresident Senior Fellow, Brookings Institution; Visiting Professor, George Washington University; CNN Medical Analyst; Former Health Commissioner, Baltimore
- Mitchell Wolfe, Chief Medical Officer, CDC
- Margaret Chan Fung Fu-chun, Inaugural Dean, Vanke School of Public Health, Tsinghua University; Emeritus Director General, World Health Organization (WHO)
- Cui Tiankai, Chinese Ambassador to the United States
- Da Wei, Fellow, Center for International Security and Strategy, Tsinghua University
- Fu Ying, Vice Chair, Foreign Affairs Committee, National People’s Congress; Professor and Chair, Center for International Security and Strategy, Tsinghua University; Former Vice Minister of Foreign Affairs
- Gao Fu, Director, Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention
- Qiu Yong, President, Tsinghua University
- Jane Jie Sun, Chief Executive Officer, Trip.com Group Limited
- Wang Chen, President, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and Peking Union Medical College; Director, National Center for Respiratory Medicine
- Wu Zunyou, Chief Epidemiologist, Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention
- Xue Lan, Dean, Schwarzman College, Tsinghua University
- Yang Bin, Vice President and Provost, Tsinghua University
- Helen (Guang) Yang, Director, International Affairs, Sinovac Biotech, Ltd.
- Zhang Linqi, Professor, School of Medicine; Associate Dean, Vanke School of Public Health, Tsinghua University
- Zhang Wenhong, Director, Infectious Diseases Department, Huashan Hospital
- Zhang Zongjiu, Executive Associate Dean, Institute for Hospital Management of Tsinghua University
- Zhong Nanshan, Head, Expert Panel, National Health Commission
- Zou Yin, CEO, Shunfeng DHL Supply Chain, China
For questions about the roundtable, please contact Ryan McElveen, Associate Director of the Brookings John L. Thornton China Center, at email@example.com.
The Brookings Institution is a nonprofit organization devoted to independent research and policy solutions. Its mission is to conduct high-quality, independent research and, based on that research, to provide innovative, practical recommendations for policymakers and the public.