Martin Neil Baily is Senior Fellow Emeritus in Economic Studies at Brookings.
Baily re-joined Brookings in September 2007 to develop a program of research on business and the economy. He is studying financial regulation, and productivity growth. He is a Senior Advisor to the McKinsey Global Institute and to the Albright Stonebridge Group. He is also an advisor to View from the Peak. Baily is the co-chair of the Financial Regulatory Reform Initiative of the Bipartisan Policy Center, and a member of the advisory panels of the Committee on Economic Development, and Macroeconomic Advisers.
In August 1999 Dr. Baily was confirmed as Chairman of the Council of Economic Advisers. As Chairman, Dr. Baily served as economic adviser to the President, was a member of the President’s Cabinet and directed the staff of this White House agency. He completed his term as Chairman on January 19, 2001. Dr. Baily previously served as one of the three Members of the President’s Council of Economic Advisers from October 1994 until August 1996.
Baily was a member of the Squam Lake Group of financial economists and a Director of The Phoenix Companies of Hartford CT from 2005-16. He was an adviser to the Congressional Budget Office from 2006-09. Dr. Baily was a Principal at McKinsey & Company from September 1996 to July 1999. From 2001 to 2007 he was a Senior Fellow at the Peterson Institute where he published books on the European economy and on pension reform. Baily was the co-chair of the Taskforce on Financial Reform convened by the Pew Charitable Trusts.
Dr. Baily earned his Ph.D. in economics in 1972 at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. After teaching at MIT and Yale, he became a Senior Fellow at the Brookings Institution in 1979 and a Professor of Economics at the University of Maryland in 1989. He is the author of many professional articles and books, testifies regularly to House and Senate committees and is often quoted in the press.
Areas of Expertise
- Social Security
- U.S. economic policy
- Senior Advisor, McKinsey & Company’s Global Institute
- Member, Board of The Phoenix Companies, Inc.
- Senior Fellow, Peterson Institute for International Economics (2001-2007)
- Chairman, Council of Economic Advisers (1999–2001)
- Member, Council of Economic Advisers (1994 to 1996)
- Principal, McKinsey & Company’s Global Institute (1996–99)
- Professor of Economics, University of Maryland (1989–96)
- Vice Chairman, National Academy of Sciences/National Research Council
- Research Associate, National Bureau of Economic Research
- Associate Editor, Journal of Economic Perspectives
- Ph.D., Massachusetts Institute of Technology