In the Brookings India Budget 2016 Special, our scholars share insights on what can be the ideal budget for India in the areas of health, education, public investment and the way forward for energy sustainability:
Event Report | Uncomplicating the Budget 2016
Brookings India scholars on 1 March 2016 provided a comprehensive analysis of the Union Budget 2016 to members of the diplomatic community in New Delhi, covering implications of the Finance Minister’s policy announcements on macroeconomics, foreign investment, energy and environment, economic and social development priorities.
- Union Budget: FM has chosen stability over growth
In the face of a sluggish global economy and volatile global markets Finance Minister Arun Jaitley had to convey a message of continued macro stability while also striving to accelerate growth, writes Rakesh Mohan in The Hindustan Times.
- Interview | Growth over Prudence? Dr. Rakesh Mohan on CNBC
Dr Mohan insists that the government keep up public investment in a credible and transparent fashion, during a panel discussion on ‘Budget 2016′ with CNBC-TV18.
Vikram Mehta, Chairman, Brookings India
- Budget fails to lay out a clear roadmap for petroleum industry
Petroleum industry is in terrible shape. Brookings India chairman and former CEO of Shell Vikram S Mehta details what the Finance Minister can do to put it back on track in The Financial Express & The Indian Express.
- Audio | Vikram Mehta on what the Budget announcements mean for the corporate sector
Shamika Ravi, Fellow, Development Economics, Brookings India
- Marginal revolutions from Budget 2016
There are numerous small announcements in finance minister Arun Jaitley’s budget that must be lauded, comments Shamika Ravi in Mint.
- Video | What the Budget announcements mean for micro economy
- A dream budget for India this year
Broad budget announcements that would keep India firmly on the path to equitable growth over next hundred years: Shamika Ravi in IBN Live and The Times of India.
Rahul Tongia, Fellow, Energy and Sustainability, Brookings India
- Reduce & refocus power & diesel subsidies
In his blog with The Economic Times, Rahul Tongia’s energy wishlist for Budget 2016 may be difficult to pull off in a single budget, it gives a pathway to energy sustainability.
- Video | What the Budget announcements mean for the energy sector