Ben Bernanke

Release day for “The Courage to Act”

I’m excited about the release today of my new book, The Courage to Act: A Memoir of a Crisis and its Aftermath, published by W.W. Norton & Company.

As chairman of the Federal Reserve from 2006 to 2014, I was at the center of the Fed’s response to both the global financial crisis and the deep recession that followed. This book is my personal account of the dramatic events of the period.

In The Courage to Act, I describe the struggle of policymakers at the Fed and the Treasury Department, in a highly uncertain and politically treacherous environment, to understand and to contain what was perhaps the worst financial panic in U.S. history. I recount how my own background, including growing up in a small town in South Carolina and my academic studies of the Great Depression, helped prepare me for my role in those epochal events. I also provide what is perhaps the first inside look into the development of the extraordinary monetary policies that helped the United States recover from the crisis, and I give my perspectives about our economic future.

For more details about the book, including a listing of my public appearances around the country, see couragetoactbook.com.

Comments for this post are now closed.

Author

Ben S. Bernanke is a Distinguished Fellow in Residence with the Economic Studies Program at the Brookings Institution. From February 2006 through January 2014, he was Chairman of the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System. Dr. Bernanke also served as Chairman of the Federal Open Market Committee, the System's principal monetary policymaking body.

The Hutchins Center on Fiscal and Monetary Policy provides independent, non-partisan analysis of fiscal and monetary policy issues in order to improve the quality and effectiveness of those policies and public understanding of them.

Blog Archive

Blogroll

Education

International Development

Global Issues

Get daily updates from Brookings