Sections

Commentary

Release day for “The Courage to Act”

I’m excited about the release today of my new book, The Courage to Act: A Memoir of a Crisis and its Aftermath, published by W.W. Norton & Company.

As chairman of the Federal Reserve from 2006 to 2014, I was at the center of the Fed’s response to both the global financial crisis and the deep recession that followed. This book is my personal account of the dramatic events of the period.

In The Courage to Act, I describe the struggle of policymakers at the Fed and the Treasury Department, in a highly uncertain and politically treacherous environment, to understand and to contain what was perhaps the worst financial panic in U.S. history. I recount how my own background, including growing up in a small town in South Carolina and my academic studies of the Great Depression, helped prepare me for my role in those epochal events. I also provide what is perhaps the first inside look into the development of the extraordinary monetary policies that helped the United States recover from the crisis, and I give my perspectives about our economic future.

For more details about the book, including a listing of my public appearances around the country, see couragetoactbook.com.

Comments for this post are now closed.