Indermit Gill is a nonresident senior fellow in the Global Economy and Development program at the Brookings Institution. He is also chief economist and senior vice president for development economics at the World Bank and a visiting professor at the Kautilya School of Public Policy in Hyderabad, India.
Gill worked at the World Bank from 1993 to 2016, where he held a number of leadership positions including director for development policy in the Office of the Chief Economist, chief economist for Europe and Central Asia, and staff director for the 2009 World Development Report on Economic Geography. Before that, he was economic adviser in the East Asia and Pacific Region office and lead economist for human development in Latin America and the Caribbean.
Gill holds a Ph.D. and A.M. in economics from the University of Chicago, an M.A. from the Delhi School of Economics, and a B.A. (with honors) in economics from St. Stephen’s College, University of Delhi.
Areas of Expertise
- Middle Income Transitions
- Chief Economist and Senior Vice President for Development Economics, World Bank
- Visiting Professor, Kautilya School of Public Policy, Hyderabad, India
- Vice President for Equitable Growth, Finance and Institutions, World Bank
- Professor of the Practice of Public Policy, Duke University
- Director, Duke Center for International Development, Duke University (2016-2018)
- Director for Development Policy, Office of the Chief Economist, World Bank (2013-2016)
- Chief Economist for Europe and Central Asia, World Bank (2008-2013)
- Director, World Development Report 2009, Development Economics, World Bank (2007-2008)
- Chief Economist (acting) and Economic Adviser, East Asia and Pacific Region, World Bank (2004-2007)
- Sector Manager and Economic Adviser, Poverty Reduction & Economic Management, World Bank (2002-2004)
- Lead Economist for Human Development, Latin America & Caribbean Region, World Bank (1999-2002)
- Principal/Senior Country Economist, Brazil Country Operations Division, World Bank (1996-1999)
- Economist, Poverty & Social Policy Department, World Bank (1993-1996)
- Assistant Professor of Finance and Economics, School of Management, State University of New York at Buffalo (1989-1993)
- Lecturer, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago (1989)
- Lecturer, The Collegiate Division, University of Chicago (1985-1988)
- Ph.D. (1989) and A.M. (1985) in Economics, University of Chicago
- M.A. in Economics, (1983), Delhi School of Economics
- B.A. (Honors) in Economics (1981), St. Stephen's College, University of Delhi