As Vice President and Chief Human Resources Officer for Brookings, April McWilliams provides senior-level HR guidance to leaders and staff ensuring the recruitment, development, recognition, and retention of a diverse, high-performing and engaged workforce. She is responsible for developing, executing and regularly evaluating HR strategy to align with the priorities and the strategic direction of the institution. April also serves as co-chair of Brookings’s Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee.
April joined Brookings in 2013 as the Director, Employment managing HR’s talent acquisition and talent management functions. Most recently, she was the Associate Vice President of Human Resources directing the institution’s talent development, DEI initiatives and ensuring responsive HR operations. Prior to joining Brookings, April served as the HR Director at the Pew Research Center and the HR Manager at NCQA. She received her Master’s in Human Resources from Marymount University and her Bachelor’s degree in Marketing from Hampton University. She also holds the designation of a certified Senior HR professional from the Society for Human Resources Management.
Areas of Expertise
- Certified HR Professional, Society for Human Resources Management
- Co-Chair, Brookings Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee
- Brookings Institution, Associate Vice President of Human Resources
- Brookings Institution, Director of Employment
- Pew Research Center, HR Director
- NCQA, HR Manager
- Masters in Human Resources, Marymount University
- B.A. Marketing, Hampton University