On the eve of Chinese Premier Zhu Rongji’s trip to the U.S., The Brookings Institution will bring together leading scholars for an in-depth discussion addressing the purpose of the visit as well as the current U.S.-China economic and political relations. Some issues to be covered include:
- background on Zhu Rongji, his political standing and his relationship to President Jiang;
- state of China’s economy and the size and composition of the U.S. trade deficit with China;
- whether it is time for China to join the WTO;
- China’s missile deployments, technology theft & spying, planning & deployment of U.S. Theater Missile Defense systems;
- China’s continuing human rights problems
To subscribe or manage your subscriptions to our top event topic lists, please visit our event topics page.