A roundup of some of the content published today at Brookings.
- The threat of terrorism from western foreign fighters. Daniel Byman and Jeremy Shapiro document foreign fighters in Syria and Iraq and assess the danger they pose to Europe.
- Rebuilding Gaza. Sultan Barakat and Omar Shaban examine the “daunting task of rebuilding the devastated Gaza Strip” following the 2014 war between Israel and Hamas there.
- Humanitarian reform and internal displacement. Elizabeth Ferris reviews the state of progress ten years after a study on improving protection and assistance for internally displaced people.
- East Ukraine ceasefire? Steven Pifer offers his views on a broader political settlement in eastern Ukraine to reinforce the September ceasefire agreement.
- Energy regulation and jobs. Ted Gayer examines a recent paper that estimates a 1.3 percent drop in manufacturing sector employment due to the EPA’s cap-and-trade program for nitrogen oxide, which took effect in 2003-04.
- Ten secret truths about how government works. Donald Kettl offers the hypothetical next president “ten handy truths” about making government more accountable, effective, and efficient.
- Wessel’s Economic Update. David Wessel focuses on what’s happening in Europe and previews two important upcoming events.