A roundup of some of the content published today at Brookings.
- Advanced nuclear energy and the battle against climate change. In the latest Brookings Essay, Josh Freed tells the story of a flood of young engineers who are exploring safer and cleaner nuclear energy technologies as the best option for powering the world and addressing the looming threat of climate change.
- A majority minority nation in 2044. William Frey says new population projects released this week by the Census Bureau indicate that the U.S. population will become “majority minority” in 2044, with whites making up 49.7 percent of the population.
- Net capital gains across zip codes. Benjamin Harris and Lucie Parker examine net capital gains realizations by utilizing zip-code level data on taxes and demographics. See also this interactive county-level map.
- Putin in Turkey and India. Fiona Hill comments on Russian President Vladimir Putin’s recent forays to Turkey and India, which she calls “all part of a carefully crafted foreign policy agenda.”
- A fresh start for transatlantic trade in 2015? Miriam Sapiro comments on the visit to Washington of European Union Commissioner for Trade Cecilia Malmström and what this heralds for progress on the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP).
- Africa in the News. The Africa Growth Initiative presents its regular review of news about Africa.
[On the possibility of ongoing secret negotiations between the U.S. and North Korea] I am always wondering if my chain is being yanked. It could also mean Kim is trying to undermine Moon, who positions himself as a broker between the U.S. and North Korea. These two potential explanations are not mutually exclusive.