Jordan Shapiro is a nonresident fellow in the Center for Universal Education. He’s also a senior fellow with the Joan Ganz Cooney Center at Sesame Workshop, where he does research on how technology impacts childhood. At Brookings, his research explores the future of childhood as it relates to the Center for Universal Education’s work on leapfrogging and innovation.
From 2012 to 2017, Shapiro wrote a popular Forbes column on global education, learning through digital play, kids, and culture. He is an international speaker and consultant whose fresh perspective combines psychology, philosophy, and economics in unexpected ways.
Shapiro is an adviser and strategist to the United States Air Force and Thomas Edison State University, helping to shape how they provide individuals with sophisticated 21st century and critical thinking skills. He is also a member of Teach For All‘s Global Advisory Council and an expert adviser to the World Economic Forum.
He teaches in the Intellectual Heritage Program at Temple University and developed the online version of the university’s core curriculum. He also serves on the advisory board of the exclusive global think tank, Symi Symposium, led by former Greek prime minister George Papandreou. His most recent book, The New Childhood: Raising Kids To Thrive in a Connected World, was published by Little, Brown and Company on December 31, 2018.
Shapiro has a B.A. from Bard College, and an M.A. and Ph.D. in Depth Psychology from Pacifica Graduate Institute.
- Senior Fellow, Joan Ganz Cooney Center at Sesame Workshop
- Instructional Design and Consulting, Temple University Vice Provost for Undergraduate Studies
- Instructional Design and Consulting, Thomas Edison State University
- Instructional Design and Consulting, United States Air Force
- Instructor, Intellectual Heritage Program, Temple University
- Digital Learning Coordinator, Intellectual Heritage Program, Temple University
- Contributing Writer, Forbes Media
- B.A. in Film, Electronic Media & the Arts, Bard College
- M.A. in Depth Psychology, Pacifica Graduate Institute
- Ph.D. in Depth Psychology, Pacifica Graduate Institute