Richard V. Reeves is a senior fellow in Economic Studies and co-director of the Center on Children and Families. His research focuses on social mobility, inequality, and family change. Prior to joining Brookings in 2013, he was director of strategy to the UK’s Deputy Prime Minister.
Richard’s publications for Brookings include his latest book Dream Hoarders: How the American Upper Middle Class Is Leaving Everyone Else in the Dust, Why That Is a Problem, and What to Do about It (2017), Time for justice: Tackling race inequalities in health and housing (2017), Ulysses goes to Washington: Political myopia and policy commitment devices (2015), Saving Horatio Alger: Equality, Opportunity, and the American Dream (2014), Character and Opportunity (2014), and The Parenting Gap (2014). He is also a contributor to The Atlantic, National Affairs, Democracy Journal, the Wall Street Journal and the New York Times. Richard is also the author of John Stuart Mill – Victorian Firebrand, an intellectual biography of the British liberal philosopher and politician.
In September 2017, Politico magazine named Richard one of the top 50 thinkers in the U.S. for his work on class and inequality. He is a member of the Government of Canada’s Ministerial Advisory Committee on Poverty, and also teaches at the McCourt School of Public Policy at Georgetown University.
Richard’s previous roles include: director of Demos, the London-based political think-tank; director of futures at the Work Foundation; principal policy advisor to the Minister for Welfare Reform; social affairs editor of the The Observer; research fellow at the Institute for Public Policy Research; economics correspondent for The Guardian; and a researcher at the Institute of Psychiatry, University of London. He is also a former European Business Speaker of the Year.
Richard has a BA from Oxford University and a PhD from Warwick University.
Richard has received an honorarium for speaking from McKinsey & Company.
- 202.797.6496 — Staff Assistant: Elizabeth Racine
- Income Inequality & Social Mobility
- Quality of Life
- Economic Studies
- Center on Children and Families
- Race, Prosperity, and Inclusion Initiative
- Additional Expertise Areas
- Economic and social mobility
- Character and skills
- Families and parenting
- Liberal political thought
- Current Position
- Professorial Lecturer, McCourt School of Public Policy, Georgetown University
- Past Positions
- Director of Strategy, Deputy Prime Minister of the United Kingdom
- Director, Demos (London)
- Director of Futures, The Work Foundation
- Social Affairs Editor, The Observer
- Economics Correspondent, The Guardian
- Principal Policy Adviser, Minister for Welfare Reform
- Research Fellow, Institute for Public Policy Research
- Researcher, Institute of Psychiatry, University of London
- Professorial Lecturer, George Washington University (Philosophy)
- University of Warwick, PhD philosophy
- Wadham College, Oxford, BA (Hons) Geography