Amanda Sloat is a Robert Bosch senior fellow in the Center on the United States and Europe at Brookings. She is also a nonresident fellow in the Ash Center at Harvard Kennedy School. Her areas of expertise include Turkey and Southern Europe, British politics, the European Union’s foreign policy, and trans-Atlantic relations.
Sloat served in the U.S. government for nearly a decade. She was most recently deputy assistant secretary for Southern Europe and Eastern Mediterranean Affairs at the State Department, where she was responsible for U.S. relations with Cyprus, Greece, and Turkey as well as for coordinating European engagement on Middle East issues. She also served as senior advisor to the White House coordinator for the Middle East, North Africa and Gulf region and as senior advisor to the assistant secretary of state for European and Eurasian affairs. She previously worked as senior professional staff on the U.S. House of Representatives Foreign Affairs Committee, with responsibility for European policy.
Prior to her government service, Sloat was a senior program officer with the National Democratic Institute, including work in Iraq with the Council of Representatives. She was also a post-doctoral research fellow with the Institute of Governance at Queen’s University Belfast. During this time, she held visiting fellowships at the Academy of Sciences in the Czech Republic, United Nations Research Institute for Social Development, and the Jean Monnet Center at New York University Law School. She also served as a special advisor to the Scottish Parliament, Northern Ireland Assembly, and European Commission.
Sloat holds a doctorate in politics from the University of Edinburgh and a bachelor’s in political theory from James Madison College at Michigan State University. She has published a book, “Scotland in Europe: A Study of Multi-Level Governance” (Peter Lang Pub Inc, 2002). She has written widely on European politics in academic and foreign policy outlets.
- 202.797.6103 — Foreign Policy Program
- European Union
- International Affairs
- U.S. Foreign Policy
- Foreign Policy
- Center on the United States and Europe
- Brookings-Robert Bosch Foundation Transatlantic Initiative
- Additional Expertise Areas
- EU foreign/security policy
- European engagement in the Middle East
- Trans-Atlantic relations
- Current Positions
- Robert Bosch Senior Fellow, Foreign Policy, Center on the United States and Europe, The Brookings Institution
- Fellow, Ash Center for Democratic Governance and Innovation, Harvard Kennedy School
- Senior Advisor, Albright Stonebridge Group
- Past Positions
- Deputy Assistant Secretary of State for Southern Europe and Eastern Mediterranean Affairs
- Senior Advisor to the White House Coordinator for Middle East, North Africa and Gulf Region
- Senior Advisor to the Assistant Secretary of State for European and Eurasian Affairs
- Senior Professional Staff, House of Representative Foreign Affairs Committee
- Senior Program Officer, National Democratic Institute
- Post-Doctoral Research Fellow, Queen’s University Belfast
- Ph.D., University of Edinburgh
- B.A., James Madison College, Michigan State University