Content from the Brookings Institution India Center is now archived. After seven years of an impactful partnership, as of September 11, 2020, Brookings India is now the Centre for Social and Economic Progress, an independent public policy institution based in India.
This discussion focused on what has changed since the Planning Commission released the Expert Committee’s report on Low Carbon Strategies for Inclusive Growth. Changes include a variety of developments including the Paris COP21 commitments, the exceptional fall in solar power prices, the relatively surplus of coal in India, low oil prices, continued low US shale prices, negative yields in parts of the world, etc.
Dr. Charles Frank is a Non-Resident Senior Fellow, the Brookings Institution, Washington D.C., engaged in research on low-carbon energy sources and government policies aimed at reducing carbon dioxide emissions. His experience spans decades of senior corporate, government, and academic roles, including:
- First Vice President and Acting President, European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, 1997-2001
- Vice President and Managing Director, Structured Finance Group, GE Capital, 1988-1997
- Vice President, Salomon Brothers, 1978-1987
- US Deputy Assistant Secretary of State for Economic and Social Affairs and Chief
- Economist on Policy Planning Staff, US Department of State, 1974-1978
- Senior Fellow, Brookings Institution, 1972-1974
- Professor of Economics and International Affairs, Princeton University, 1967-1972
To subscribe or manage your subscriptions to our top event topic lists, please visit our event topics page.