A roundup of some of the content published today by Brookings.
- What to look for in the Modi-Xi summit. Tanvi Madan looks at where the China-India relationship stands, the backdrop of Xi Jinping’s visit to India, what the two sides will be looking for and trying to signal, the visit agenda, as well as what all this means for the United States.
- What Scotland’s vote has to do with American federalism. Bruce Katz counters the idea that Scotland’s independence vote has nothing to do with America. In fact, he says, the vote “does have timely lessons for the United States.”
- Security sector reform and ending displacement. Supporting durable solutions to displacement is key to building sustainable peace, says Elizabeth Ferris, pointing especially to the role of the military and police.
- “Printed” car shows how energy labs can work regionally. Scott Andes and Mark Muro provide a glimpse of the International Manufacturing Technology Show in Chicago where the Phoenix company Local Motors Inc. undertook to “print” one of the first-ever automobiles produced through 3-D printing.
- Prizes for saving: The social mobility case. Stuart Butler makes a case for prize-linked savings accounts that offer a lottery-like prize as an incentive for savers, which have been shown to encourage positive saving behavior among those of modest income.
- Sexual and reproduction education in South Africa. Relebohile Moletsane discusses her forthcoming research on sexual and reproductive health education in South Africa and its impact on girls’ educational success.
Charmaine Crutchfield contributed to this post.
[The resignation of assistant secretary of state for European and Eurasian affairs Wess Mitchell] is surprising news, which seems to have caught everyone off guard. He doesn’t appear to have shared this news with his ambassadors, who were in Washington last week for a global chiefs of mission conference. His deputy is also slated to retire soon, which raises question of near term leadership on European policy at a time of challenges there.