On January 16, Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke will participate in a Brookings live webcast event to mark the launch of the new Hutchins Center on Fiscal and Monetary Policy. As his eight-year term as Fed chairman ends, Bernanke will be interviewed about the Federal Reserve past, present and future by Brookings Trustee Liaquat Ahamed, author of the Pulitzer Prize-winning book, Lords of Finance: The Bankers Who Broke the World.
The discussion will follow a multi-panel event on central banking following the Great Recession, moderated by Senior Fellow David Wessel, director of the new center. The panels and panelists are:
Monetary Policy When Rates Fall to Zero: Putting Theory into Practice
• John Williams, President and CEO, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco
• Martin Feldstein, Harvard University
Strengthening Financial Regulation: What’s Done? What’s Not?
• Paul Tucker, Harvard Kennedy School of Government; Former Deputy Governor, The Bank of England
• H. Rodgin Cohen, Senior Chairman, Sullivan & Cromwell, LLP; Vice Chairman, Economic Studies Council, Brookings
Central Bank Independence and Accountability in a Democracy
• Donald Kohn, Senior Fellow, Economic Studies
• Christina Romer, Garff B. Wilson Professor of Economics, UC Berkeley
• Kenneth Rogoff, Harvard University
The event will be webcast live. Follow the conversation on Twitter at #FedAtHutchins.