Program Series Inside the White House
Inside the Executive Branch
Policymaking on Capitol Hill is only one part of the equation. Congress regularly enacts vague legislation, which leaves addressing policy details to the discretion of executive branch agencies. Rules, regulations, executive orders, and a variety of other mechanisms have a significant impact on an organization’s bottom line, be it public or private. Another key element of the policy process is the agenda set by the White House, whether formally through the budget or informally via the bully pulpit.
This “insider’s” guide to the White House focuses on the many dimensions of executive power—from the White House to Executive Branch agencies—to help you position your organization to participate in the policy conversations that matter. Take this course along with Inside Congress to get an extensive, front row view of how the federal government really works.
This course is required for the Certificate in Policy Strategy.
The agenda for Inside the White House is highly topical. Future programs will be linked to major political and policy issues. Speakers for the previous iteration of Inside the White House include, but are not limited to:
- Ray LaHood, Secretary of Transportation
- Alice Rivlin, Member, National Commission on Fiscal Responsibility and Reform (Bowles-Simpson); Co-Chair, Debt Reduction Task Force (Domenici-Rivlin); former Director, OMB, and Founding Director, Congressional Budget Office; Senior Fellow, Economic Studies and Metropolitan Program, Brookings Institution
- Stephen Hadley, Former National Security Advisor; Senior Advisor for International Affairs, United States Institute of Peace
- Jim Papa, Senior Vice President and Managing Director, Global Strategy Group; Former Special Assistant to the President for Legislative Affairs; Former House and Senate senior staffer
- The Honorable Carol Browner, Distinguished Senior Fellow, Center for American Progress; former Administrator, Environmental Protection Agency (1993-2000) and former Director, White House Office of Energy and Climate Change Policy (2009 – 2011)
- Matthew Vaeth, Assistant Director of OMB for Legislative Reference; former Chief, Budget Review Branch, Office of Management and Budget, Executive Office of the President, the White House
- Major Garrett, Chief White House Correspondent, CBS News
- Sally Katzen, Former Deputy Director for Management, Office of Management and Budget; former Administrator, the Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs, Executive Office of the President, the White House; Senior Advisor, the Podesta Group
- Winthrop Hambley, Senior Advisor, Board of Governors, The Federal Reserve
- Tonya Robinson, Special Assistant to the President for Justice and Regulatory Policy, Domestic Policy Council, The White House
Location: Washington, D.C.
Praise for this course:
“It’s been a long time since civics in eighth grade. Inside Washington gave me a broader understanding of not just the textbook way that Washington works but how it really works."
"An experience you just don't get anywhere else. Brookings has clout."
*Formerly known as Inside Washington: Understanding Federal Decision-Making