Program Series Inside Congress: Understanding Congressional Operations
Inside Congress: Understanding Congressional Operations
Walk the corridors of the Capitol, and witness the legislative process firsthand in this fast-paced, in-depth course. Hear from members of Congress, and observe floor action in the House of Representatives and the Senate as you explore how bills are initiated, written, and passed.
Speakers highlight current national policy issues, and explain the politics, policies, and processes of Capitol Hill. Take this program along with Inside the Executive Branch to get an extensive, front-row view of how the federal government really works.
Note: This course is required for the Certificate in Policy Strategy.
Confirmed speakers for the July 15-19, 2013 Inside Congress course include:
- Stephen Billet, Director, Legislative Affairs, Graduate School of Political Management, George Washington University
- Jim Papa, Senior Vice President and Managing Director, Global Strategy Group; Former Special Assistant to the President for Legislative Affairs; Former House and Senate senior staffer
- Congressman Bob Carr, (D –MI); Former Chairman of the Transportation Subcommittee, Committee on Appropriations, House of Representatives
- Kevin Fogarty, Chief of Staff, Office of Congressman Peter King, (R-NY), House of Representatives
- Congressman Keith Ellison, (D-MN); Member of Financial Services Committee; House of Representatives
- Steve Olson, Vice President, Government Affairs, Association of Zoos and Aquariums
- Nadeam Elshami, Chief of Staff, Office of House Minority Leader, Congresswoman Nancy Pelosi, (D-CA), House of Representatives
Participant David Sickey, Member of Council, Coushatta Tribe of Louisiana, Office of the Tribal Council, comments on his experience in the September 2012 iteration of Inside Congress — Understanding Congressional Operations:
“This program is second to none. In terms of topics, materials, information and organization and practical knowledge gained. This BEE program should be required for all elected officials, civic leaders and the average citizen. Understanding congressional operations certainly has the Brookings Institution status and excellence!”