The Insider's Legs and Regs
Gain a deeper understanding of both the policy formulation process (legislation) and the policy implementation process (regulations) in this intensive advanced seminar. Avoid spin and hear directly from former members of Congress, key staff, advocates and leading experts.
Speakers will highlight various pivotal points in the policy process-e.g. mark-up sessions, Rules Committee action, Office of Management and Budget’s Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs review. Become an “insider” in this essential immersion course that provides perspective and understanding of the complex legislative and regulatory processes.
This course, along with Inside Congress: Understanding Congressional Operations, will provide you with the strategic knowledge you need to advance your organization’s legislative agenda. This course is designed for senior agency or corporate officers interested in a deeper comprehension of the legislative process in Washington, D.C., corporate managers federal relations or congressional liaison officers, and government officials GS-13 to GS-15.
Note: The Insider's Legs and Regs is an elective course for the Certificate in Policy Strategy.
Speakers for the October 1-3, 2013 Inside Congress course include, but are not limited to:
- Steven LaTourette, President, McDonald Hopkins Government Strategies LLC; former Congressman
- Carl Biersack, Director, Biersack Government Relations Team; Legislative Director to former Senate Majority Leader Trent Lott (R-MS)
- Jim Manley, Quinn Gillespie Public Affairs; Former Senior Advisor to SenatorHarry Reid (D-NV), Majority Leader, U.S. Senate
- Scott Lilly, Senior Fellow, Center for American Progress; Former Clerk/Democratic Staff Director, Committee on Appropriations, United States House of Representatives
- Jim Dyer, Principal, Podesta Group; Former Clerk/ Republican Staff Director, Committee on Appropriations, United States House of Representatives
- Congressman Jim McGovern, (D-MA); Member Rules; and Agriculture Committees, House of Representatives
- Senator Evan Bayh, (D-IN); Partner, McGuirre Woods
- Michelle Mrdeza, Former Clerk/Republican Staff Director, Appropriations Subcommittee on Homeland Security; House of Representatives; Director, MXM Consulting
- Congressman Thomas Davis, (R-VA), Director, Federal Government Services, Deloitte LLP; former Chairman, Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, House of Representatives
- Randall Lutter, Visiting Scholar, Resources for the Future; Former Chief Economist and Deputy Commissioner, Environmental Protection Agency
- Jeff Holmstead, Partner, Bracewell & Giuliani; Former Assistant Administrator, Environmental Protection Agency
- Michael Fitzpatrick, Senior Manager and Senior Counsel, General Electric; Former Associate Administrator, Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs, Office of Management and Budget
- Katherine McFate, President and CEO, Center for Effective Government
- Robert Weismann, President, Public Citizen
Topics presented in this course vary, but typically include:
- Helping Your Organization Design a Legislative Strategy
- Understanding Constituent Interest Politics, and Playing a Weak Hand Successfully
- Effective Lobbying: Perspectives from the Business Community
- Committee Mark-Up Sessions
- House Rules Committee: How to Get Past the Gatekeeper to the House Floor
- Committee Chairs: How Much Power do They Really Have, and How to Get on Their Winning Side
- Evolving Congressional Rules and Procedures: Key Recent Changes
- Managing Floor Action in the House and Senate
- Congressional Insight Simulation
- Conference Committees
- Lobbying Congress: the View from K Street
- Managing Your Organization's Relations with Congress: Key Steps to Become More Effective