Provides research support for CEAP Korea and Southeast Asia Senior Fellows. Provides project and administrative support to Center; works with Senior Fellows, Center Manager, and Associate Director on Senior Fellow-related events and administrative tasks. Time to be split roughly 50-50 between Korea Senior Fellow and Southeast Asia Senior Fellow.
Master’s degree in area studies, international affairs, political science, or public policy required (with focus on the East Asia region and/or Korea); familiarity with and interest in Southeast Asia beneficial. Must have strong academic record as well as proven outstanding writing skills. Complete fluency in written and oral English required; proficiency in Korean is strongly preferred. Must be eligible to work for any employer in the U.S.
Demonstrated familiarity with East Asian international relations, especially the Korean peninsula and U.S.-Korea relations, required. Must have excellent organizational and communications skills, as well as strong research and analytical skill. Must possess ability to work independently and to prioritize accordingly. Ability to multi-task in a demanding and fast-paced environment is a must. Knowledge of Microsoft (MS) Office Suite required (particularly MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint). Must be flexible, able to participate in several diverse projects at the same time, and a congenial, adaptable team player.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
60% Research Support
- Supports the Korea Senior Fellow and Southeast Asia Fellow in all aspects of policy research.
- Collects data from various sources including the Internet, libraries, government sources, and personal contacts; reads sources for relevancy to research themes; assembles unclassified government data, documents, and reports.
- Updates and checks existing data and footnotes; provides fact-checking, editing, and proofreading of publications.
- Compiles bibliographies and chronologies; writes briefing memos; prepares notes on meetings and conferences; creates and maintains spreadsheets and databases.
- May provide assistance in drafting of books, papers, opinion pieces, and blog posts; may draft presentations and speeches for scholars as requested.
- May assist with proofreading and editing publications by Senior Fellows and CEAP Visiting Fellows.
40% Program Support
- Plays major role in the planning, organization, and execution of public and private events for Korea Senior Fellow and Southeast Asia Senior Fellow.
- Follows direction of Senior Fellows, Associate Director, and Center Manager in recruiting and corresponding with event participants, reserving meeting rooms, equipment, and catering services; and developing an audience.
- Proofreads event transcripts for speedy posting on CEAP website.
- Works closely with the CEAP Associate Director and Center Manager to ensure seamless office coverage, and to provide complete administrative and project support to Korea Senior Fellow and Southeast Asia Senior Fellow.
- Duties may include scheduling, travel support, assistance with correspondence, and other duties.
Only applicants meeting minimum qualifications for the position will be considered. Successful completion of a background investigation is required for employment in this position. Brookings welcomes resumes from all qualified applicants, particularly women and minorities. No phone calls and no employment agencies please.